Friday, October 05, 2007

History on half-a-roll
published: Sunday | February 4, 2007

Howard Moo Young, Gleaner Writer


Reggae singer Bob Marley (third left), then Prime Minister Michael Manley (left), and former Opposition Leader Edward Seaga (right) on-stage during the One Love Peace Concert, at the National Stadium, in 1978. The concert commemorated the visit of Ethiopian Emperor, His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie. – Contributed Photo

History was created at the National Stadium on the night of April 22, 1978, when Robert Nesta Marley, reggae icon and Jamaica's undisputed musical ambassador for peace, brought the two political leaders, Prime Minister Michael Manley and Leader of the Opposition Edward Seaga, on-stage together.

As the nation reeled in turmoil with political violence and much bloodshed, members of the warring factions of both parties formed a peace committee to try and find a common ground for peace. Bob Marley stepped forward to be a part of the process by agreeing with all those involved to stage what is now known as the Bob Marley One Love Peace Concert. This was only two years after an assassination attempt was made on his own life, after which he went into a self-imposed exile for two years.

The peace committee convinced other leading Jamaican artistes of that time, including Peter Tosh, Big Youth, The Inner Circle, Dennis Brown, Junior Tucker, Culture, Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus and others, to be a part of the show.

Hungry for peace, the nation turned out in their thousands to overflow the National Stadium as a show of solidarity behind the prophet of 'peace and love', along with the many other performers on-stage.

History unfolds

Hope soared in the hearts of the nation as the never-to-be-forgotten event in Jamaica's history began to unfold before their eyes, live across the nation on all electronic media.

As the throng of local and international press and photographers scampered around trying to pick the perfect spot below the giant stage, I stood there armed with one camera, one lens one roll of film and no flash.

I was personally involved with this concert, having designed the poster and created all the advertising for the event. I even had the privilege of attending rehearsals late into the morning at that wooden cottage known then as Strawberry Hill.

I will never forget that night at the National Stadium as long as I live, standing there and witnessing firsthand the events that would unfold within minutes.

I had already photographed Peter Tosh, Big Youth, Jacob Miller and the rest of dancers and drummers, when I heard an audible voice giving me certain instructions.

"Howard! Stop shooting now! Save your film, for what is about to take place is not on the programme but will create history. You must capture it!"

I immediately put my Nikon F under my arm with the remaining 17 frames of Kodacolor 400 film intact and I chose to be obedient to those words even as I saw Bob Marley whisper into someone's ears, apparently instructions that he had requested.

I stood my ground waiting in anticipation, keeping my ears to the ground as the reggae bass guitarist pumped out the positive vibrations.

I knew that something unexpected was about to take place as the commotion behind me got louder and louder. By now everyone was on their feet with eyes aloft. I recognised the figure of the Prime Minister, Michael Manley, lifted high above the crowd, being carried forward by a sea of hands towards the front of the stage as Bob Marley signalled his welcome to that giant platform.

Edward Seaga followed

That was just the beginning as, in similar fashion, Edward Seaga, Leader of the Opposition, followed the same route, destined for a place on stage. I now realised that what was taking place was what was told to me by that voice just minutes before.

The rest is history, as what unfolded on that stage in the centre of that football field was awesome, unbelievable and beyond words.

As photographers scampered around trying to find, beg and borrow film as many of them had already emptied their prized commodity in capturing the King of Reggae who had just given an electrifying performance, not expecting a climax of what was to come, I stood my ground like a sentry.

As Bob put his hands around the shoulders of both leaders as in a moment of prayer, a hush came over the crowd.

He then held both their hands and raised them in unison to the pounding sounds and words of the Song of the Century, "one love, one heart, let's get together ..." The entire audience erupted and joined in at that historic moment to record the emotions, the drama and the event that would fill the front pages of every leading newspaper of the times.

Jamaicans united

I believe that every Jamaican at home, in their cars, on their bikes, in every bar, in every square, joined hands together, sang and hoped for peace.

At the age of 36, I believe that God allowed me to capture the most important photographs that I've ever taken in my life so far and He also gave me the opportunity to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Out of this half-a-roll of film, I was rewarded with a Silver Medal in the 1979 Commonwealth Photography Exhibition in Edmonton, Canada, and two Gold Medals in the 1982 Festival Photography Competition and an entire wall in the Bob Marley Museum.

I now share this exclusive collection of prized photographs with all Jamaica through this medium and a moment that I will always treasure as long as I live.

One Love!

No comments: