Friday, October 05, 2007

Rastaman has gifts for Rita Marley

By VICKY SOMNISO

JOHANNESBURG – A Pretoria rastafarian musician, Carlos Djedje, has presented Bob Marley’s wife Rita with two awards.
The “Afreeka Freedom Walk” awards formed part of Black History month and were held at Constitutional Hill in Hillbrow, Johannesburg.
The first award is a lower body statue with broken chains on the ankles and the other one is shaped as a pyramid bearing the names of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer.
Djedje said the statue symbolised the first day of slavery to the time when Africa was declared free but incomplete.
“Africa is free but incomplete. We are still fighting poverty, women and child abuse and diseases. The war is not yet over,” said Djedje.
Djedje presented the statue to Marley because “her husband preached the message of love in his music.”
“I’m giving the Marleys my love. She (Rita) has been a fighter and still is one,” said Djedje.
He said Africans had been running but now it was time to walk.
“I have received gifts before but I have never received this kind. I am really honoured” said Marley.
“I will place it in Bob Marley’s museum. I’m proud to be here at a time like this, Black History celebration month,” said Marley.

No comments: