Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thoughts on dreadlocks
published: Saturday | March 24, 2007

The Editor, Sir:

Very rarely do we take the time in Jamaica to talk about one of the most signifcant markers used in our society to negotiate social space: hair.

As an ethnically mixed population, with a predominant African heritage and colonial history - we have eked out a most precarious standard as far as our hair is concerned.

Growing up in Kingston and attending a fairly prestigious high school, I was considered different for not chemically treating my hair. But not out of place. At 17, I decided to 'locks' my hair and I remember the conversation with my vice-principal very clearly:

"You know dreads are dirty."

I laughed. "Not all dreads are."

He was of course referring to the socio-political classification which in Jamaican was associated with wearing locks, being a dread, practising Rastafarianism.

Class

The dirtiness in his eyes was not only literal, it had to do with class, race and every social marker in between. Dreads were political radicals who called for the disruption of otherwise civil society. I had great respect for my school and my teachers and and even greater respect for the vice-principal who voiced his opinion but did not dare demand that I cut my dreadlocks.

Three years later, I cut them on my own volition, it was an emotional experience. I realised I wasn't quite deserving of everything that came with the image, I needed to lighten my load in order to move through my 20s and become enlightened all over again.

But I respect being given the choice of how I conveyed myself to the public, even if it was only a matter of style. It was my style, my choice.

I am, etc.,

SHARI WRIGHT

shariism@gmail.com

Kingston 8

Via Go-Jamaica

No comments: